Thursday, May 28, 2009

Count Your Blessings

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm tired of looking at our current post. There really isn't much to report on, though. I will say, we have three exciting additions as of late. The first, a kitchen cart! Allow me to show you how much counter space we have:


I dare you -- I just DARE you -- to try and use two square feet of counterspace in your kitchen for a day -- one day. Seriously, nobody has ever taken me up on this offer. Gu'head. Show me whatcha got.

Okay. I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of getting pictures of the kitchen cart on here, so imagine, if you will, two cabinets with shelves, a pull-out drawer above that, and a WON-derful slab of countertop to top it all off... on wheels. AND! There's about an extra foot of countertop with handy dandy side-thingys that you can put down when you want them out of the way. How sweet is that?! It's actually somewhat enjoyable to make food now, since I don't have to hold half the ingredients as I make it!


Secondly -- bikes! We loved our bikes in Idaho, but sadly, had to sell them when we came here. Dave had a mountain bike for a while when we first got here, but he sold it. Now that it's warming up again, and since it's been almost a year, we decided "it was time."
This is mine, and Dave's is very similar. We just wanted simple cruisers to ride to the harbor, beach, or shops. It's been soooo nice having bikes again! It's fun to have a reason to get out and see different houses around here... see how the other side lives.
Which brings me to blessing number three. When I was telling my mom about this, it occured to me how numb we've become to Hawaii norms -- busy traffic stopping to allow one car to make a turn, grabbing a cockroach instead of a fork in the silverware drawer, being flashed an extended thumb and pinky every time someone needs a little mercy... and our third blessing... people having their washer and dryer outside. We got a washer and dryer! Thank you Garcias and Kamauus for your generosity, but ... yeah. :) There's still a slight hiccup with the dryer, so on rainy days like today, we still can't do laundry lol, but they're ours.
As I said, when I was telling my mom about it, I was raving about how great it was that we bought them from a family who had them inside *ooh-la-la*, so they weren't rusty yet. Our conversation went a little something like this:
Mom: "Wait... inside? ...as opposed to..."
"Yeah, outside."
"Outside? Like... not IN your house?"
"Yeah."
" *silence* "
"Yup."
"Like... OUTside? ...But... are they on a porch or something?"
"Well... we have a concrete slab that they're sitting on. And the roof extends out over them."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"And this is common in Hawaii?"
"Very. That's why we're so excited they came from an 'indoor' family."
"Oh."
"Yup."
"So... what's to stop any random stranger from coming up and using it?"
"...Nothing."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
lol I love you, Mom! :) I have a feeling that part of the reason behind our coming here was so that Heavenly Father could show us how blessed we are. The past couple days, I've been having issues trying to fit everything into our fridge and freezer. Don't mistake me for ungrateful; I'm very happy and feel very privileged to have this much food. But today, my thoughts turned to going for a visit to the mainland, and opening a real, full-sized fridge. I'm not gunna lie... I think I got a tear in my eye, lol. We are so very blessed.