Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Where Does One Begin?

Aloha! We're back on Oahu after a long trip to Indiana -- SO fun! (Indiana, not the trip.) I really can't tell you how great it was to see friends and family. I was even able to see my brother in Utah during a short layover.
I took a ton of pictures, but I don't want to post a travelogue, so I'll try to do a few shorter installments. Basically, I would just like to say that it was great to go home. When I first got there, I thought that it perhaps wasn't such a good idea to take this trip... because I wanted everything I saw! My hometown has LOTS of great, affordable places to shop for everything, and between all the stores and the beautifully maintained houses, I was really envious, and bummed about everything I didn't have. But surprisingly, as we've come home to Hawaii, it's such a relief to know that we don't have so much extra baggage; we have what we need, and that's all we need.
A good reaction to coming home was helped along by my dear, sweet husband. While I was gone, he not only painted, rearranged, organized, and cleaned (no ants in the kitchen when I came home!), but also had re-vamped our bathroom! You remember that nasty laminate floor we have? It was really bad in the bathroom, because it wasn't laid well, and you could see ants crawling in the cracks, and only imagine what was growing under your feet with all the water getting in there. My LOVERLY husband bought new laminate tiles -- MUCH more asthetically pleasing -- and laid them in the bathroom. It looks SO much better! In addition to that and the fresh coat of paint, he got new hardware. He also hung up pictures and other decorations that I just haven't gotten around to putting up. Talk about a welcome home! It was SO great to walk into that! I appreciate him so much. What a guy, huh?
Okay. I know you just want to see pictures. Thanks for humoring me and reading.
THE SIGHTS
My dad saw this and bought it for my mom on the spot. I thought it was great. :)

Now THIS is what I'm talkin' about! Give me "Wide Open Spaces" above anything else. Can't beat the green and blue of summer, with just the right breeze to keep you cool.

Another favorite sight of summer -- little league! This was at my niece's game, and I'll post more pictures of her very intense focus and concentration later... *wink*...
Our last night there, Dave and I just took off for a drive. Believe it or not, during Indiana summers, the sun doesn't set until close to 10 PM, so there's lots of light to drive by on a perfect Sunday evening. This was a house we passed -- GORGEOUS! Complete with lake, basketball court, horses, and porch. Love it.


I went on a bike ride with my little sister and came upon this sight. It made me laugh out loud as I thought, "Now why can't life's decisions be like this?" :)

More to come later. You will NOT want to miss the gift I put together for my friend... remember those glass jars I etched? And the pictures of my niece at her game are just priceless.